Calamity Town was Zisteau's town on the PlayMindcrack server. He began creating the town in April 2014 as a "spiritual successor" to the Wasteland Village, one of his major builds on Season 3 of the Mindcrack Server. Unlike Mhykol's Bouncy Castle and SethBling's Basketball (which were the only two public towns at the time), the landscape and storyline of Calamity Town continually evolved via player interaction.
In his first episode, Zisteau describe the storyline of Calamity Town as the inhabitants of the town (villagers) fundamentally disagreeing on the future of the town. A wizard/warlock desires to cause calamity through inanimate means (hail, fire, etc.), while a witch/dryad desires to cause destruction through life (giant trees, monsters, etc.). Viewers were asked to vote for who the initial settler of the town should be; a blacksmith or an alchemist. The blacksmith was announced as the favorite. Hex von Dacenstein (an iron golem named for a German wine Zisteau sampled at Epcot) arrived via airship, though he didn't offer any quests as planned.
Players were initially restricted to an adjacent viewing platform until the island was decorated with grass, trees, and lakes, at which point a bridge was built to allow access. An area on the underside of the island, known as "the underhang", became a somewhat-secret area for players to gather. OldManWillakers closed off the area due to an "order [from] Jarool", subsequently posting a screenshot to the unofficial, fan-run subreddit /r/TheUnderhang. Players that had disconnected from the server in that area were imprisoned in iron bars as a result. In a video uploaded on 4 May, OldManWillakers (pretending to be Jarool) showcased the new underhang used to "praise Jarool".
Zisteau announced that the blacksmith would be the first inhabitant of the town, but mentioned that the relevant plugin for the character was still being developed. He described a quest that the blacksmith would ask of the player; parkour to the top of the mountain, obtain a particular item, and trade that item for a specialised tool used to inconvenience other players. Clouds of wool were built high above the island. The NPC arrived via an airship that Zisteau designed, though the plugin was still not yet ready. In the clouds, Zisteau build Das Upperhang as a hangout location.
|20 Apr 2014||
|23 Apr 2014||
|9 May 2014||
|22 May 2014||
- Zisteau (20 April 2014). "Minecraft :: Calamity Town on PlayMindcrack #1 - Wasteland Village 2.0". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSwIcsV7rL0&t=4m29s>.
- Zisteau (23 April 2014). "Minecraft :: Calamity Town on PlayMindcrack #2 - Finishing the Terrain". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3prDfe6J2I>.
- Zisteau (9 May 2014). "Minecraft :: The Artificer's Airship - Calamity Town on PlayMindcrack #3". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SzS2OL9Hmg>.
- Zisteau (22 May 2014). "Minecraft :: Cloud Kingdom - Calamity Town on PlayMindcrack #4". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS3ZgSVUIRg>.
- zwind (29 April 2014). "Concerning OMW and The Underhang". Reddit. <https://www.reddit.com/r/playmindcrack/comments/24aa3v/concerning_omw_and_the_underhang/>.
- Rurikar (29 April 2014). "THE UNDERHANG IS NOW CLOSED". Reddit. <https://www.reddit.com/r/TheUnderhang/comments/2490bz/the_underhang_is_now_closed/>.
- BruceWillakers (4 May 2014). "A Special Message from Jarool". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pa1DeHGfT0>.
- Zisteau (17 May 2014). "Das Upperhang". Reddit. <https://www.reddit.com/r/playmindcrack/comments/25sab2/das_upperhang/>.