2014 Mindcrack Marathon
The 2014 Mindcrack Marathon was a 24 hour livestream marathon held by Mindcrack on 13-14 September 2014 to raise money for Extra Life, in support of Children's Miracle Network Hospitals in their treatment and care of children afflicted by life threatening illness and injury. The event was officially announced by Aureylian on 13 August via a video uploaded to her YouTube channel and a post to /r/mindcrack. This is the second Mindcrack Marathon following the one held in October of the previous year.
The overall fundraiser goal for the marathon was $100,000, which is what the goal of the Mindcrack Network Extra Life page was set to. The UHC perspective unlocking on the Mindcrackers' personal Extra Life pages was anticipated to raise $11,700 before the stream had even begun, leading to $88,000 being referred to as the goal for the Mindcrack Network page.
Individuals not members of Mindcrack participating in the Mindcrack Marathon
Both rounds of the Building Game finished sooner than expected, allowing Chad to start the UHC pre-game stream earlier. UHC #ForTheKids ran 95 minutes overtime, shortening the second Mindcrack Server segment to just 25 minutes. Mario Kart 8 continued past 11pm, causing Waking Up and Super Mario World speedrunning to be shortened slightly. The original schedule listed Garry's Mod ending at 5am, but because there was 3 hours of time between 7am-10am left unplanned, Garry's Mod continued for a further 2 hours. The third Mindcrack Server segment was postponed to 7am and extended to conclude the stream.
The main streamer to the MindcrackNetwork Twitch page for each segment is highlighted in bold, though many participants also streamed to their own channels at the same time.
All times given are in Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-04:00), and are to the nearest 5 minutes.
- See also: Mindcrack Ultra Hardcore/UHC ForTheKids
For the first time a UHC event was broadcast live to Twitch, instead of recorded episodes being uploaded to YouTube. OMGchad spectated the event and livestreamed to the MindcrackNetwork Twitch channel, hopping between rooms in Mumble to show what is going on at various points in the game.
The Mindcrack members would only livestream their perspective of the event if it was "unlocked", that is, if relevant donation goals on their Extra Life page were met. All participating guests would stream their perspective only if $10,000 dollars was raised on the Mindcrack Network Extra Life page. An early list of confirmed guests included AntVenom, Bacon_Donut, BlueBayou and CaptainSparklez, though Blue clarified that she would be unable to stream her perspective. A later released list of guests also included DireDwarf, robbaz, and Mojang game developers SuperJohan2000 and Searge. According to a comment by AnderZEL, robbaz had to pull out of the event due to other commitments.
The participating Mindcrack members were to be AnderZEL, Arkas, Aureylian, BlameTC, Coestar, Docm77, Guude, mcgamer, Millbee, Nebris, Pakratt0013, PauseUnpause, Pyro_0, SethBling, sevadus and W92Baj. Not all members intended to stream for various reasons, and therefore some didn't have an Extra Life page. The donation goals of those with Extra Life pages were surpassed in the following order; Coestar, W92Baj, sevadus, SethBling, Arkas, Millbee, mcgamer, AnderZEL, Docm77, Pakratt0013, PauseUnpause, Nebris, Aureylian, and lastly all guests. Pyro later noted he would be able livestream. Bacon_Donut and extremebeyond were expected to appear as guests, but were not present at the start of the match. thejims joined at the last moment to replace Bacon, while kurtmac found time to join and therefore also livestreamed, replacing Maz.
Donors were to be able to influence gameplay by gifting items to the player of their choice, depending on the value of the donation.
|$10 Items||$20 Items||$50 Items||$100 Items||$250 Items||$500 Items||$1000 Items|
|Iron Ingot||Gold Ingot||Apple||Knockback II Enchant + Anvil||Fire Aspect II Enchant + Anvil||32 Eye of Ender †||Wither † ‡|
|8 Sugar Cane||16 Raw Steak||Diamond||Protection II Enchant + Anvil||Infinity Enchant + Anvil||Splash Potion of Harming II (12 Health)||Notch Apple|
|3 Leather||Obsidian Block||16 Arrows||Projectile Protection II Enchant + Anvil||Flame Enchant + Anvil|
|16 Lapis Lazuli Dye||Sharpness II Enchant + Anvil||Power Enchant + Anvil|
|8 String||Punch Enchant + Anvil||Potion of Strength II (1:30)|
|Potion of Strength (3:00)||Potion of Regeneration (2:00)|
|Potion of Regeneration (0:45)||Splash Potion of Harming (6 Health)|
|Potion of Healing (Instant 4 Health)||Splash Potion of Poison (0:45)|
|Potion of Healing II (Instant 8 Health)|
‡: When bought, this item will be spawned at the center of the map.
The highest cumulative donor during each segment was rewarded with prizes from Jinx, Jazwares, Lootcrate, DxRacer, and CaseKing. In addition, the highest cumulative donor during the entire marathon would be allowed access to the Mindcrack Server for 24 hours. $10 donors to the Mindcrack Network Extra Life page were supposed to be able to spectate UHC #ForTheKids from their own perspective through a mirror server, but the server faced technical issues and was not available as expected.
- Building Games: Jinx Minecraft lego set
- UHC #ForTheKids: Jazwares action figures and a signed Mojang set
- Mindcrack Server: Jinx plush set
- PlayMindcrack: Jinx vinyl set, 1 month of Lootcrate, and a signed Mindcrack shirt
- Mario Kart 8: DxRacer chair (for US residents) / CaseKing package (for EU residents)
- Waking Up: Jinx adventure set
- Speedruns: 3 months of Lootcrate and a signed Mindcrack shirt
- Garry's Mod: 6 months of Lootcrate and a signed Mindcrack shirt
- Mindcrack Server: Jazwares mini plush set and a signed Mindcrack shirt
Outcome and reception
Through the UHC perspective unlocking, over a quarter of the $100,000 goal had been raised before the marathon had even begun. The Mindcracker's personal Extra Life pages raised $17,522, while the Mindcrack Network page exceeded $10,000 for guest perspectives.
20 minutes before the UHC match had started,
#ForTheKids was trending on Twitter in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Australia. 85 minutes into the match, Chad noted that there were 140,000 cumulative viewers across all of the live perspectives. After Pause accidentally fed his horse a Notch Apple worth $1000,
#ForTheHorse began trending on Twitter worldwide. $46,000 was raised during the UHC segment alone.
The stream acquired 260,000 unique views throughout the event, peaking at the end of UHC #ForTheKids with 31,537 viewers. At the end of the stream, the Mindcrack Network page was at $92,738, totaling to $110,260 for Extra Life. The page continued to receive donations after the stream had ended. /r/mindcrack moderator brighteyes890 reported a total of $113,465 on 15 September 2014.
- Aureylian (13 August 2014). "ANNOUNCEMENT: MINDCRACK MARATHON!". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pc-kEmZAZM>.
- Aureylian (13 August 2014). "ANNOUNCEMENT: MINDCRACK MARATHON!". Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2dfrxj/announcement_mindcrack_marathon/>.
- Mindcrack (25 September 2014). "Mindcrack Charity Livestream 2014 - Part 5: Mario Speedruns with SethBling". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ETwr7NonAg&t=35m12s>.
- Mindcrack (23 September 2014). "Mindcrack Charity Livestream 2014 - Part 3: Mindcrack SMP, PlayMindcrack, and Mario Kart 8". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKwDv6V204#t=4h19m18s>.
- Mindcrack (26 September 2014). "Mindcrack Charity Livestream 2014 - Part 6: Garry’s Mod". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz29RlZViXo#t=2h10m56s>.
- nWW (8 September 2014). "Unlocking UHC Perspectives - What Does It Mean?". Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2fsv1g/unlocking_uhc_perspectives_what_does_it_mean/>.
- BlueBayou (9 September 2014). Reddit reply. Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2fvtv7/4000_raised_6000_more_needed_in_4_days_to_unlock/ckde4cd>.
- rubysown (11 September 2014). "UHC Guest and UHC Influencing Information". Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2g3wf8/uhc_guest_and_uhc_influencing_information/>.
- AnderZEL (12 September 2014). Reddit reply. Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2g77t8/psa_according_to_anderz_robbaz_will_not_be/ckge41h>.
- nWW (11 September 2014). Reddit reply. Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2g3wf8/uhc_guest_and_uhc_influencing_information/ckfeo6b?context=1>.
- Pyropuncher (8 September 2014). "Minecraft: Mindcrack S5E22 - Walkie Talkie". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK5AJC-6Udo&t=7m33s>.
- GuudeBoulderfist (16 September 2014). "Minecraft MindCrack - S5E12 - Torch Tuesdays #7 - Microsoft & Marathon". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmb6gp8ufdA&t=22m56s>.
- Mindcrack (22 September 2014). "Mindcrack Charity Livestream 2014 - Part 1: Intro and Building Game". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBr01xQdSo&t=35m1s>.
- TheSevadus (13 September 2014). Reddit reply. Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2gbhtc/what_do_you_guys_think_of_sevadus_decision_not_to/ckhhas5>.
- nWW (14 September 2014). "Live Right now: SethBling Speedrunning Mario!". Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2gcjqj/live_right_now_sethbling_speedrunning_mario/>.
- Mindcrack (22 September 2014). "Mindcrack Charity Livestream 2014 - Part 2: UHC #ForTheKids". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of4iWGdJyOA#t=57m17s>.
- Mindcrack (22 September 2014). "Mindcrack Charity Livestream 2014 - Part 2: UHC #ForTheKids". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of4iWGdJyOA#t=2h51m45s>.
- Mindcrack (22 September 2014). "Mindcrack Charity Livestream 2014 - Part 2: UHC #ForTheKids". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of4iWGdJyOA#t=4h7m27s>.
- MindcrackLP (13 September 2014). Twitter. <https://twitter.com/MindcrackLP/status/510896332136271872>.
- Mindcrack (22 September 2014). "Mindcrack Charity Livestream 2014 - Part 2: UHC #ForTheKids". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of4iWGdJyOA#t=4h24m41s>.
- Mindcrack (27 September 2014). "Mindcrack Charity Livestream 2014 - Part 7: Mindcrack SMP/Finale". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2FpmGCnFGg#t=3h11m39s>.
- brighteyes890 (14 September 2014). "Mindcrack Marathon Wrap Up Post - Our Community Is Awesome". Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2gdaw5/mindcrack_marathon_wrap_up_post_our_community_is/>.