|Alternative names||Etho's Lab, Etho Slab, Treetho, Mr. Slab|
Etho is a Canadian Let's Play commentator and an active member of the MindCrack server. He was invited to join in November 2011 by Guude, at the same time as Docm77, after competing in the second Race for Wool.
Etho has been generally reticent regarding personal details about his life outside of YouTube. A popular inquiry regards his former profession. Etho noted that viewers had regularly claimed him to be a teacher, an IT professional or even a member of NASA, but revealed that he worked in horticulture as part of a family–owned greenhouse business. The comments of this video were later disabled due to a certain user that traced this business and released images of Etho and his location. Etho does not have any post-secondary education, graduating from high school with 35 of his credits coming from work experience. In June 2012, Etho began producing YouTube content full time, having left the greenhouse business to do so.
Etho is also known for his peculiar pronunciation of common words such as "lava" and "pollen". Etho runs his channel in a "family-friendly" way by not using any swear words and doing his best to censor swear words said in his presence. Another nickname he has is "Tree guy", he obtained it because of his job in the greenhouse business.
One of Etho's major hobbies prior to his activities on YouTube involved programming. He has been programming since age 9. A major goal of his was to create an emulator that would provide a user-friendly GUI that would display information about selected games in a similar manner to Xbox Live Marketplace. The emulator would have been applicable to older console games. Etho authored a separate program that collected box art, manuals, reviews, guides, music, and other aspects of each game; the emulator then allowed users to browse the compiled database for a desired game. He had some concerns about the program, including copyright legality and the amount of effort required to produce a final product. Among other things, Etho designed an experimental 2.5D engine to tinker with simulated three-dimensional perspective in video games. He was inspired to do so after playing a game with a poorly designed 2.5D engine. YouTube has since replaced his programming activities.
Etho has a popular Minecraft survival single-player series titled "Etho Plays Minecraft." The series, originally called "Let's Play Minecraft", continues to be produced. He is noted for his skill in redstone and the complicated contraptions that prove them. He is notable for creating practical (or extremely complicated) Redstone contraptions, such as his mob sorting system which can separate creepers, zombies, and skeletons with fairly great accuracy and Wilson, his Tamagotchi-like "pet", fully redstone controlled.
- Intel i7 4770K Processor
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
- 32 GB Ram DDR3
- 3 TB Hard Drive
- Minecraft running on RamDisk.
- Logitech G330 Headset
- Double Y Y Ram compresser
It is unknown whether or not Etho's previous parts still apply to his new computer.
- Etho's builds on the server
- Etho's involvements in the prank wars
- Etho's videos on the server
- Etho's videos on the FTB server .
On the Season 3 server, many components of Etho's base were underground. His mob system was the most prominent structure on the surface. The nearby island has his free-range Cow farm and Sugar Cane farm. Underneath the mob system is his Mancave, which was smoothed out by Zisteau in a prank. In the cave, Etho had the largest Slime farm in the server. In the Nether, Etho had built a Dual Blaze Farm with a prominent structure surrounding it, simulating a hanging platform. Water source blocks were used as decoration within the structure. Outside the structure, there were five water source blocks spread throughout the ceiling of the Nether. Etho is part of Team Canada, an alliance formed by PauseUnpause to prank others as a group. He collaborated with Docm77 to create the server's first Wither Skeleton spawning pad. Etho went on to create his new base and storage room underground in a jungle some what near Zisteau's place. He planned the new base to be underground in a lush jungle with a hanging storage room with a beacon and mob tower farms, although he didn't finish before the map was reset.
Etho's main base of operations on the Season 4 server is EthoCorp Laboratories, a large modern building within spawn which also serves as a potion shop. Early in the season, Etho made the Horse Timer to accurately measure how fast a horse is, built the Death Games, a community pvp game, and collaborated with BdoubleO100 to build the nether hub. Etho's second base in the world, known as "Ethopia", is a mountain base which Etho flooded, built a tree farm on, and had planned to build various other functional buildings at the location, but was left incomplete. In addition to EthoCorp and The Death Games, Etho also built Underground Sound. It allows players to create their own tunes using a system of note blocks.
Etho's first endeavors on the modded Feed the Beast server include Etho Corp, of which he is the founder and self-proclaimed chief executive officer. Under the banner of Etho Corp, Etho has built his base on the server, which includes floating islands of various purposes (tree farming and storage, among others). The Honeycomb Labs, the basis for much of his bee research on the server, is situated nearby the main components of his base. After the server reset, Etho initially decided to power his operations entirely on biomass but later deviated from this plan. He has placed an emphasis on Railcraft because he thinks carts flying through the air looks cool. Etho's base on the server is within the vicinity of AnderZEL, with whom he first left the spawn village because of lag issues. Recently, Docm77 moved nearby.
Eventually the modded server came back after a break, and along with that the server was switched to a PvP based server. Etho, being strategic built several different bases which were spread out through the world including a Tinker's base, a main base, a spawner base, and a castle. All of which were built under the ground, but the castle. The server due to changes in the mod pack and lack of entertainment, the map was reset. Before that could happen the remaining server members decided to do a large PvP battle at Etho's castle resulting in its demise.
The reset brought new changes with a new pack, a new pack launcher, new members, and a new set up. Etho started up with a spawner base with a bunch of autospawners for the team. Then Etho started working on a underground tunnel system connecting to the rest of his team's buildings. Etho also has been working towards his pilots license from Arkas, but has yet to get it.
The vanilla server reset shortly after the modded server did. This left many of Etho's projects unfinished. He started out working on getting the Death Games set up, and purifying some villager zombies with SethBling and Nebris. He then proceeded to starting up a Craft Security service in which he "rescues" crafting tables that could've been stolen, and hides them somewhere underground. Upon request, he will return the crafting table to the owner.
In mid-October 2014, Etho stated on the MindCrack Reddit that due to his disillusionment with the servers' future direction, he does not foresee playing on the MindCrack servers in the long term unless a drastic change in direction is taken.
|4 Jan 2012||German Minecraft Pros||"[Let's Talk]Ethoslab![English][HD]"||
|8 Nov 2013||Biffa2001||"Tea Time with Biffa #6 - The Minecraft Community Show for YOU w/ Etho"||
Etho's Minecraft skin is Kakashi Hatake from the Japanese manga and anime franchise Naruto. He chose it because it was one of the most detailed skins at the time, even though there are better versions nowadays. In January 2014, Etho updated his skin to utilize new skin customization added in 1.8.
- Etho has a strong dislike of onions.
- Sparkling soft drinks cause Etho nose bleeds.
- Etho can turn his feet 180 degrees backwards, and can make a loud popping sound by creating a vacuum in his ear with his pinky.
- Etho is 6'2" tall.
- Etho stated in his Cube World LP that his hairstyle is similar to one of the possible characters.
- He occasionally wears glasses.
- Etho is one of the members who have "op" status on the MindCrack Server.
- generikb is known for posting pictures to Twitter claiming to have met Etho at MineCon.
- Etho once had a cat when he was younger that swam out into a pond just to catch a duck for its kittens.
- It is reported that Etho's cousin is professional Starcraft II player, LiquidSheth, though Etho has not confirmed this.
- When asked about his eating habits and how much he must weigh as a result of those habits (in episode 381 of his Singleplayer LP series), Etho said he is thin and has a very high metabolism.
- docm77 (10 May 2012). "Mindcrack Minecraft SMP : Docm77 | EP 4: The Gathering of Claw Army". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU_gIO5U2T0&t=1228s>.
- EthosLab (10 May 2012). "Etho Plays Minecraft - Episode 177: Slime Station". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLv7dfr0sEo&t=5m18s>.
- EthosLab (13 February 2013). "Etho Plays Minecraft - Episode 253: Mega Map". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgCOGO0qtc&t=22m46s>.
- Aubron (1 April 2013). "PSA: I am Etho.". Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/1bezir/psa_i_am_etho/>.
- EthosLab (1 December 2013). Reddit reply. Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/1rtkqg/ethos_program/cdqush9>.
- EthosLab (7 June 2011). "Tech: Experimental 2.5D Engine". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSWLQ64boBY>.
- EthosLab (6 November 2013). "Terraria 1.2 - Episode 17: Deep Dungeon". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBJ0wDv4gT8&t=10m50s>.
- Biffa2001 (8 November 2013). "Tea Time with Biffa #6 - The Minecraft Community Show for YOU w/ Etho". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgqLzc3dolc&t=12m24s>.
- EthosLab (19 May 2014). "Etho MindCrack SMP - Episode 162: Statue Building". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MMbpr-YqSA>.
- EthosLab (9 January 2014). "Etho Plays Minecraft - Episode 316: Computer Talk". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-bIt-rDfdI&t=10m22s>.
- EthosLab (9 October 2013). "Etho MindCrack SMP - Episode 123: Mega Flood". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx5fHC8rx0g&t=1m56s>.
- EthosLab (2 November 2013). "Etho MindCrack SMP - Episode 130: Treetho's Farm". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3k882z6u4&t=25m3s>.
- EthosLab (15 April 2014). "Etho MindCrack SMP - Episode 158: Cheaty Minecraft". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoc5JvNjAvk&t=22m28s>.
- EthosLab (16 October 2014). Reddit reply. Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2jdv4o/today_on_the_mindcrack_serverthere_were_no_videos/clawssk>
- EthosLab (18 November 2012). "Etho Plays Minecraft - Episode 234: Egg Delivery". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJizEU1Xnyg&t=29m6s>.
- EthosLab (19 January 2014). "Etho Plays Minecraft - Episode 319: 5 Withers". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ybuxbrU9s&t=2m8s>.
- EthosLab (2 August 2013). "Etho MindCrack SMP - Episode 107: Onion Prank". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8KYW-Jf_rA>.
- EthosLab (12 May 2012). "OOGE - Kaizo Caverns: Episode 5". YouTube. <https://youtube.com/watch?v=7hFcGcWyArM&t=16m20s>.
- EthosLab (4 September 2013). "Etho Plays Minecraft - Episode 292: Finishing Touches". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlClrreJtT4&t=1547s>.
- EthosLab (25 October 2013). "Etho Plays Minecraft - Episode 301: XP Overload". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnjiU8jij4Q&t=34m45s>.
- EthosLab (6 July 2013). "Cube World - Episode 1: Fun Game". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clXvI57npNg&t=2m50s>.
- EthosLab (5 February 2012). "OOGE - Spellbound Caves: Episode 6". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYb8TTwGwlQ&t=15m18s>.
- GuudeBoulderfist (10 November 2013). Reddit reply. Reddit. <http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/1q9hjd/sethbling_plays_mindcrack_s4e12_blingmart/cdat1fg?context=3>.
- generikb (24 November 2012). Twitter. <https://twitter.com/generikb/status/272101892539162624>.
- generikb (24 November 2012). Twitter. <https://twitter.com/generikb/status/272107562965553154>.
- generikb (2 November 2013). Twitter. <https://twitter.com/generikb/status/396419551597834240>.
- EthosLab (29 April 2014). "Etho Plays Minecraft - Episode 338: Crazy Cats". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYIwl1LC9U4&t=20m35s>.
- LiquidSheth (13 July 2013). Twitter. <https://twitter.com/LiquidSheth/status/356233631812956160>.
- MindCrackNetwork (19 November 2012). "Mindcrack Podcast - Episode 19 - Guest Zedsteau". YouTube. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c5nRt-SVXk&t=1h12m44s>.